The death of Jean-Pierre Voos in 2008 saw his company, Tropic Sun Theatre, branch off into two directions. One branch of this company focused on saving the annual event Shakespeare Under The Stars and preserving the legacy of Jean-Pierre's mission of "providing North Queensland with professional live theatre that showcases the talents of quality actors, designers and directors from the region."
TheatreiNQ (pronounced Theatre Ink) officially launched in 2010 under the leadership of past Tropic Sun Theatre Alumni Terri Brabon and her partner Brendan O'Connor (a founding member of Tropic Sun Theatre.) TheatreiNQ received much community support and in the years since, has grown into an independent professional theatre collective offering a full annual season's programming presenting a mix of contemporary drama, revivals of the classics, Australian Work and new writing.
In addition to the Main Stage programme, Terri & Brendan devised a unique training programme for emerging talent in the region called The Bridge Project which aims to steer regional artists towards a career in the professional industry.
The Project has successfully guided graduates into further study including placements at NIDA & WAAPA and has developed into a multi-year training programme with a paid Apprenticeship placement on offer for successful graduates within the main company.
TheatreiNQ has also developed The Culture Club & The Culture Crew, two unique school holiday programmes for Years 4 -6 and 7-10 respectively. These programmes focus on exploring the works of William Shakespeare through various different art forms including Drama, Dance, Music & Visual Art.
- What We Do
Each year, TheatreiNQ produces:
- 4 to 5 Mainstage Productions including:
- Shakespeare Under The Stars.
- Wizardz of Aus Series – A presentation of an Australian work.
- Revival Series – A revival of a theatre classic.
- Fresh iNQ – A new work previously not performed in North Queensland.
- Modern Masters – The best contemporary theatre from around the world.
- The Bridge Project– a year long mentoring programme for young actors.
- The Culture Club – Mid year School Holiday programme for Years 4 – 6.
- The Culture Crew – Mid year School Holiday programme for Years 7 – 10.
- THiNQ Ed – Providing resources to assist with Education Programmes in the Region.
- THiNQ Casting – Providing talent casting services to films, advertising and corporate events in the region and beyond.
Collaborations and relationships with other professional arts organisations are vitally important to TheatreiNQ. The Company proudly maintains relationships with:
- Other Artist and Company Support
We are also very proud of the support and endorsement from artists and companies further afield who have been involved in our Mainstage Productions or with The Bridge Project including: